Friday, August 9, 2013

Little places we know, with Scotty trailer in tow...


I am a recently retired fellow whose spouse, Susan, also just retired. We have set our own personal sights on regular travels, targeting the United States and Canada (since we live in the former, and are not that far from the latter), and can reach all those myriad destinations by auto, or, auto and small travel trailer. Small trailer; you may wonder what that means. For us, that means Serro Scotty travel trailers, some of the lightest (read "good gas mileage") and most compact of all the retro travel trailers. For the past six years, we had toured California destinations in a Kit Kamper teardrop, so we knew the simplicity of towing, and living out of, a small teardrop camper. In mid-2012, I decided to upgrade to a slightly larger Serro Scotty, popular in the late 50s to 70s, and found a "rebuildable candidate", a Scotty Sportsman 13 footer, in Oceanside, CA, for which I paid $900 and towed home with my then Nissan 300ZX. That little trailer is tucked into my garage, in process of a complete rebuild (I have purchased virtually all the needed new parts, and have begun the disassembly). After retirement, I had long planned a bicycle tour of the Gettysburg battlefield and other Civil War stops with my brother John and four others, for late June, 2013. While planning for this trip, I saw a beautiful little Scotty teardrop advertised on eBay, and purchased a two-year-old reproduction 1958 Scotty Sportsman Jr., a true teardrop camper, built by a high school shop teacher in W. Virginia. Just before arriving in Gettysburg in June, we picked up and then towed this smaller Scotty all the way to Long Island, NY, then retraced our steps across the US, back to California (that is builder Tom in the photo). With the smaller Scotty, Susan and I can tour (currently targeting California and the West) while I regain enthusiasm for rebuilding the '64! I will plan to post regular updates of our favorite destinations as they unfold for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment